Monday, October 3, 2011

Red Sox Collapse Continues....

    -Reports from Jackie MacMullan stated that Kevin Youkilis was "divisive" within the club house.  This comes as a big surprise as Youk is a fan favorite and a hard worker.  Maybe Manny was justified when he and Youk got into a dugout altercation a few years back.

    -Inside reports are claiming that pitchers and players were drinking heavily on their off days.  No reports of exactly who but I hope Lackey was one of these pitchers.  He had to of been drunk everyday to pitch how he did this year.  We all know only David Wells can pitch drunk and hungover.

    -The same day Francona was "fired," John Henry fell down some stairs on his million-dollar yacht and sustained minor injuries.  He hasn't been able to publicly comment on the "firing" of Terry Francona.  His wife, through Twitter, announced that he was in fact able to watch his newly acquired Liverpool futbol team after he got out of the hospital.  I'm sure Red Sox fans were thrilled to hear that.

    -Theo Epstein is "50/50" on whether or not he will return to the Red Sox next year.  He is strongly considering leaving and taking over as the GM of the Chicago Cubs.  If he were to bring a championship to that city, he would be known for saving both Boston and Chicago from a very long tortuous period of championship drought.  The Red Sox will most likely wait for Theo to make a decision before officially replacing Francona.

    -Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz have been the only players who have spoken to the media.  Pedroia spoke very highly of Francona. Below, is just about everything he had to say.

"It’s hard, man, with the way we played this year, but by no means is it Tito’s fault. We get paid a lot of money and the biggest thing that I am upset with, and I think a lot of guys are upset with, is the accountability of each other. It’s not the manager’s fault. We need to hold ourselves more accountable as a team, as players. There are a lot of things that went on that was disrespectful and we played like it. That’s basically it, but Tito’s had every single guy’s back in that clubhouse from Day 1.

“This is tough. He’s had my back, he gave me a chance when I was struggling as a rookie. I was hitting .150 and he stood by me and helped me become the player that I am today. I’ll forever remember that. I’m sure there will be tons of offers for him because of what’s he’s accomplished and what kind of guy and manager he is. He’s going to move and I’ll definitely be following him.

“I wish him the best and I hope he gets a job in the National League for a team that we don’t get a chance to play because it would be like playing against one of my family members.

“I love him. He’s given me every opportunity in the world and given me the respect to play the game with a freedom, and that’s what he allows us players to do. Geez, man, he’s done everything for me and everything for my family ... he’s done everything for me in the five years I’ve been in the big leagues. My heart’s broken for him and I wish he was back and I wish I could have played my whole career for him. It’s going to be hard. I’m sure he’ll come back a better manager and a better person for it. Us, as an organization, we’re going to move forward together.”

No comments:

Post a Comment